- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon 2 percent milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 ounces Panera Bread® Reduced-Fat Plain Cream Cheese Spread, or other reduced-fat plain cream cheese, softened or at room temperature
- 8 slices Panera Bread Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 8 fresh strawberries, sliced
1. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sugar; set aside.
2. Spread a quarter of the cream cheese on a slice of bread; repeat with three more slices. Spread 1 tablespoon of strawberry preserves on another slice of bread; repeat with the remaining three slices. Press one slice of each topping together to form four sandwiches.
3. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the skillet (if working in batches, use 1 1/2 teaspoons butter for each sandwich). Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides, and arrange them in the skillet. Cook until nicely browned and crisped outside, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Serve topped with powdered sugar and strawberries.
TIP: If you like to experiment in the kitchen, try a flavored cream cheese or other types of fruit preserves in place of the strawberry. (Apricot, blueberry, and peach work nicely.)
from Spring, Texas
Filled with cream cheese and fruit preserves, this decadent French toast creation raises the bar on breakfast. Best of all, it's easy to make, so there's really no need to limit the pleasure it brings to special occasions.
My daughter Tiffany, my grandchildren Anthony (age 4) and Adriana (age 2), and I love being in the kitchen. We love going to Panera Bread bakery-cafes and buying the Cinnamon Raisin Bread. Christmas morning we get up and open Santa's gifts, and then go into the kitchen to make our special French toast. We all have a job to do. My granddaughter hands two slices of bread to her mother, and her mother spreads the cream cheese on one side; on the other bread my grandson spreads the strawberry preserves, and we form a sandwich. I (Nonna) dip it into the egg mixture.
579 calories, 17 g protein, 86 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat, 209 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 3.5 g dietary fiber