- 1 loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise, then into thirds
- 1 ½ cups canned tomato sauce or canned whole, peeled tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil chiffonade, lightly packed
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 475°F.
2. Lightly toast the bread for 5 minutes.
3. Spoon the tomato sauce over the bread. Top with the basil, then tomato slices, then the cheese.
4. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, then broil for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the tops.
TIP: Look for fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, which adds just the right tang and creaminess.