- 1½ cups oat flour
- ¾ cup whole grain pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup light molasses
- 1 ¼ cups hot tap water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons peach all-fruit preserves, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the oat flour, pastry flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, mix the oil and molasses.
4. In a 2-cup glass measure, mix the water and baking soda. Whisk into the molasses mixture.
5. Gradually whisk in the flour mixture. Whisk in the egg, egg yolk, and sugar. Pour into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on the rack to cool completely.
7. Place the cream and preserves in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed beat until soft peaks form. Serve over wedges of the cake.
8. This gingerbread cake (minus the cream topping) keeps well in a zip-top bag at room temperature for 1 day or in the freezer for 1 month. The whipped cream will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for 1 day.
TIP: Replace the peach preserves with apricot, raspberry, or cherry for a flavor variation.
252 calories, 4 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat, 256 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber