- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs from Panera Bread Country loaf or miche, crust removed
- 1 cup canned carrot juice or low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 pounds yellow tomatoes (4 to 6), cored and chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained small capers
1. Put the bread crumbs in a food processor and process to fine crumbs. Add the carrot juice or broth and puree until smooth. Add the oil, vinegar, garlic,, salt, hot pepper sauce, sugar, and half of the tomatoes, half of the bell pepper, and half of the cucumber. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the remaining tomatoes, pepper, and cucumber and pulse just until chunky.
2. Refrigerate until cold, for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Serve in bowls garnished with capers.
TIP: If using broth instead of carrot juice, reduce the salt to 1 teaspoon.