- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 box (10 ounces) plain quick-cooking couscous
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ¾ cup chickpeas (cooked or canned and drained)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
1. Toast the pine nuts in a dry saucepan over medium heat until light brown and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes, shaking pan now and then. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
3. Put the lemon juice in a large serving bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil in a slow steady stream until it is incorporated and slightly thickened. Whisk in the salt and pepper.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
TIP: To quickly seed a tomato, cut it in half crosswise, then dig out the seeds and gel from each half with the tip of your knife.