- 6 corn tortillas (6-inch), cut into ½-inch-wide strips
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of salt, plus ¼ teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) petite-cut diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet, coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with chili powder and pinch of salt. Bake until crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken thigh pieces until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, onion, and garlic, and cook until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook 1 minute.
4. Add broth, water, cumin, oregano, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Divide soup among bowls and top with tortilla strips, cheese, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
TIP: The chile-flavored baked corn tortilla strips make this soup especially good. But in a pinch, you could substitute store-bought tortilla chips.