- 2/3 cup canola oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces boneless and skinless turkey breast
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen okra, trimmed and sliced ¼-inch thick (about 2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, cut into slices or small cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 4 scallions, chopped, optional
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1 Panera Bread French Baguette, thickly sliced
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Scatter 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper over the turkey. Add to a hot pan and cook until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, 5 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove to cutting board. When cool, shred with a fork.
2. Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. When hot, add the okra and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add onion, pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 10 more minutes, stirring a few times. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
3. Add remaining 1/2 cup oil to pot. Gradually whisk in flour. Reduce heat a little and cook, whisking frequently, until mixture (the roux) starts to thicken and turns medium brown, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning the roux. It should be a nutty dark-brown color. If it burns, clean the pot and start over again with fresh oil and flour. Gradually whisk in 3 cups of the broth. Stir in reserved turkey and vegetables, tomatoes, sausage, bay leaves, cayenne, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and low simmer gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
4. Stir in shrimp and cook until bright pink, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper as necessary. Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with scallions and parsley, if using. Serve with slices of a Panera Bread French Baguette.
TIP: If you can’t find andouille sausage, use another spicy smoked sausage, chorizo, or kielbasa. Or use tasso ham.
583 calories, 28 g protein, 49 g carbohydrate, 25 g fat, 109 mg cholesterol, 1212 mg sodium, 5 g dietary fiber